Monday, September 1, 2008

It's great to be a grownup

Believe the hype, kids; it's all it's cracked up to be.

My mother did a good job raising me, and taught me many things wise and wonderful, one of which was not to grow up too fast; cherish childhood, because once you are an adult, there's no going back. Here are a couple of reasons why, even with bills, deadlines, and responsibilities, it's not a total loss...

Saturday, I made hot fudge cookie sundaes for dinner. We were going to eat dessert anyway, so why add the unneccesary calories of a real dinner?

You get to be friends with your folks. If my mom had been here that night, instead of being parentally obligated to veto with "tsk, that's not good for you", she would've been able (and likely!) to say, "right on, pass me a spoon!"

We stayed up until two in the morning on a weeknight to watch the closing ceremony of the Olympic games. Sure, we were shattered the next day for work, but by golly, we got to watch Jackie Chan belting a pop song in Mandarin and David Beckham do the most overrated and lackluster cameo in history - live!

And finally:
The last time I begged and pleaded for a puppy, I got one!

4 comments:

Drew said...

I enjoy a good milkshake for dinner sometimes. That was prescribed by my doctor, though. It was very good to hear the "backstory"; very well written. I'm glad you are no longer "under the weather". Hopefully you have similar luck with the real weather.

Mom (Sandy) said...

Hot fudge cookie sundaes - yummy! Move over and pass the spoon!!! A friend and I once had a hot fudge sundae for lunch and then split a sandwich for dessert. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do!! Love you both! MOM (Sandy)

Jill said...

I was just thinking this weekend - one of my favorite things about being a grownup is that on road trips (Dallas <> Lubbock), I get to decide when and where to stop! Even when I'm traveling with one or two parents, they no longer tell me to be quiet and wait. It's great!

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Yeah, I can't wait to be an adult!!! I'm still in the 'be an example' stage...only because one of mine is a stinker (don't know where she gets it from, though!)