Monday, September 15, 2008

Whatcha Listenin' to?



Last week a group of our Surfside gals attended Sistas (www.sistas.org.nz), the coolest women's ministry event I've ever had the privilege to attend. While I did not make it myself this year, my friends came back buzzing with excitement over all God had showed them in their time of learning and fellowshipping en masse. One story that especially caught my imagination was told by a speaker who spends most of her time on the road appearing at various conferences. Her two little girls simply come with, and have consequently spent their whole lives listening to messages that add value to womanhood - that they are loved and lovely daughters of the King.

Recently, one of the girls got into a kerfluffle with a boy who had the audacity to want to play with the same toy at the same time as she. After a moment or two of fiery conflict, this little fellow thought to shock and horrify his opponent by shouting the most devastating insult in his armory - "You are dumb and ugly!!". Rather than being reduced to tears and flight however, she plopped her hands on her hips, looked him straight in the eye and said, "No I'm not! My daddy says I am intelligent and beautiful!" You go, girl!

With simple faith, this little Princess believed what her father told her, rejecting the taunts of her enemy as lies meant to make her doubt her true worth, lose heart, and back down from her cause. Sound familiar? Have you listened lately to what your Father has to say about you? In Isaiah 43:4 God says, "Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life." And remember when you hear the insidious whispers that you are "not good enough", "not righteous enough", "dumb & ugly", "never going to get it right", "too much", "not enough", etc, etc, etc, that this passionate declaration was written to a people crushed and scattered for hundreds of years of willful disobedience.

On Friday, I was in the kitchen working on some cooking project or other, when thoughts of past foolish things I had done, or altercations I had been in began literally to assail me out of nowhere. I was feeling doubtful and discouraged over how I'd stuffed up or embarrassed myself time and time again, when the still, small voice I most love to hear piped up: "You don't have to take this! Remember who you are!". At once I began to rebuke the hateful thoughts (out loud for emphasis), telling them to take a hike, as they were not welcome or relevant to me anymore. Immediately I felt peace flood in where just a moment ago had been tension and despair, all because I know the truth, and it set me free. So while it is essential to examine yourself honestly and seek to change when sin is involved, when poisonous thoughts and words seek to tear you down instead of shape and refine you, put your hands on your hips and say, "Don't you talk to me that way!" - attitudial finger snapping is optional.

2 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

WOW! That goes right along with where I am at spiritually, too! Thanks for the confirmation and encouragement!
Oh how I wish I could have had it more together at your age...but my daughters sometime need to see a very broken Mom falling at the feet of a very loving Jesus!
How's NZ?
Y'all coming back to Texas anytime soon?? We would love to see you.

Charity said...

NZ is great! We probably won't make it back until sometime next year, unfortunately. At least we have facebook...