Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mimi

In Memoriam

Syble Irene Lee Prescott
November 19, 1924 - September 22, 2008


Wife for 59 years to the late (great!) Pip Prescott


Mother of Sandra (R) and Dona (L)


Grandmother to Bethany (UL), Melissa (UR), Charity (LL), and Maxie (LR); grandmother-in-law to Chad (the guy).


We spent a lot of time like this when I was growing up: making some recipe or other out of her Southern Living Cookies and Candy Cookbook, so anyone who has ever enjoyed my baking knows who to thank :)


I've never claimed poetic pretensions, but here is a rough attempt inspired by my favorite grandmother:

Mimi

Off to Quanah I am bound,
a place beyond compare.
Summertime was always best,
knowing you'd be waiting there.

You'd say, "Not much to do here.",
which I never understood.
Since all the time I spent with you
enriched my childhood.

Your cookie cookbook, I still have.
We used it through and through.
Each dog-eared page and recipe
reminds me more of you.

We didn't always see eye-to-eye,
like when I'd make a mess.
Or church, when you would try in vain
to get me in a dress.

Together we would always watch
the Golden Girls, our show.
We'd stay up late and have a laugh,
then off to bed we'd go.

The days would blend together,
One long, idyllic run.
Reading, swimming, napping,
regardless, we had fun.

It's hard to be so far away,
and now you're farther still.
I'll be so glad to meet again
and rejoice one day we will.

On to Heaven! Of worldly sorrows,
you have broken free.
When you get there, please give a kiss
to Daddy Pip for me.




Thanks for the time and love. We miss you, Mimi.

4 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Charity, you made me cry! My most precious memory of my Granny before she succumbed to Alzheimer's was when I would spend time at their house and she would make me 'snuff'...it looked just like hers and she would put it in one of the old snuff glasses, except mine was made of cocoa and sugar!!!
Please know, I was 7 when she started getting sick, so this has been many years ago....this is how long those memories last!
I can wait a few years to start making those memories, but knowing my girls have missed out on those is hard...their children won't if I have anything to do with it!!!

Take care of your grieving heart.

Pamela

Shanole said...

Sorry about your loss. Hope you guys are doing well though.

Shanole said...

Sorry about your loss. Hope you guys are doing well though.

Anonymous said...

Hi my sweet cousin,
I can't begin to thank you enough for the beautiful poem you wrote that summed up our childhoods perfectly. Words cannot express how much you were missed at the service. Dad got your email address...I'll write as soon as I can. I love you...Melissa